Side is reached, by turning the south 3 kilometer before Manavgat
on the Antalya Alanya highway. The exact date of its establishment
does not admit. In the language of Anatolia "side" means granatapfel.
From the descriptions it seems that side decreases/goes back on
the Hittite period. The city was designed on a peninsula and was
protected a Hellenistic and a Roman city, by city and sea-walls.
Somebody attention particularly becomes on the city gates and
would wind, as well as many Remains of the aquaducts guided, the
water of the Vorbergen of the bull mountains and the surrounding
country got. The old baths were manufactured made a museum again
and, in that to unite the statues and the art treasures are issued,
which are found in the side.
The basis of Manavgat is not well-known safe,
but estimated on B.C. 200-150. As understood about the early documents,
charge and human transport on the river, from the all first centuries
had been formed to new years. Manavgat became a village of the
Turkish republic at 1913
ancient Pamphylia's largest port, is situated on a small peninsula
extending north-south into the sea. Strabo and Arrianos both record
that Side was settled from Kyme, city in Aeolia, a region of western
Anatolia. Most probably, this colonization occurred in the seventh
century B.C. According to Arrianos, when settlers from Kyme came
to Side, they could not understand the dialect. After a short
while, the influence of this indigenous tongue was so great that
the newcomers forgot their native Greek and started using the
language of Side. Excavations have revealed several inscriptions
written in this language. The inscriptions, dating from the third
and second centuries B.C., remain undeciphered, but testify that
the local language was still use several centuries after colonization.
Another object found in Side excavations, a basalt column base
from the seventh century B.C. and attributable to the Neo Hittites,
provides other evidence of the site's early history. The word
"side" is Anatolian in origin and means pomegranate. Next to no
information exists concerning Side under Lydian and Persian sovereignty.
Nevertheless, the fact that Side minted its own coins during the
fifth century B.C. while under Persian dominion, shows that it
still possessed a great measure of independence.
The agora, the city's centre of commercial and cultural activity,
lay along an arcaded street. It can be entered today from immediately
opposite the museum. This square space was surrounded on all four
sides by porticoes. Rows of stores can still be observed running
behind the north-east and north-west porticoes. An interesting
vaulted building lies in the agora's south-west corner adjacent
to the theatre, this served as the city's latrium or public toilets
and is the most highly ornamented and best preserved example in
Sewers carried away the waste from this establishment, which had
a 24-toilet capacity, while in front of the building ran a channel
carrying only purified water.In order to satisfy their need for
a plentiful water supply, the people of Side went to almost superhuman
lengths. Water from the head of the Melas river (today's Manavgat
Çayý) reached Side after an adventuresome 30 kilometer
journey on two-storied arched aqueducts, passing through channels
carved out of cliffs, and vaulted tunnels and across valleys before
it was collected in city cisterns, from which it was distributed
in clay pipes. Side has been excavated by Turkish archaeologists
since 1947, and excavations continue occasionally.